Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Rough Week And . . . A Lovely Weekend!

Yes. Lucy started throwing up on my birthday and did so for about 5 days. No fun. The poor girl had some nasty flu bug or something. None of the rest of us got it thank goodness. It was all we could do to get her to come outside with us one day and play bocce.

Lucy was doing better so we went to Utah with a team of horses for a horse pull on the 16th. Lauren, my old roommate, and Skyler and their little girl Cali, met us there. It had been a long time since we had seen them and so it was way fun to catch up! Becky and Brad also came! Lauren & Becky & I had a great time reminiscing about the good ole days and had lots of good laughs. The girls loved the parade before the pull and got lots of candy. Nick did great in the pull and we all had a fun time. He even got the "Horsemanship Award"! Go Nick. He has big plans for several more horse pulls this summer. Hmmmm. We'll see. I didn't get any great ones of the horse pull. Sorry Nick. I was busily trying to manage two crazy girls. But here's Jet & Andy.

The girls when they finally 'crashed' at the very end of the horse pull, of course. Needless to say, I didn't catch a whole lot of it.

Just when we thought Lucy was getting better, she started throwing up again. So sad, she was so completely worn out and weak that she just layed on the couch all day for a few days and slept. She definitely wasn't her usual self. I think I got to hold her last week more than I got to hold her since she was a newborn! She's definitely not a cuddler. So that part was kind of nice for a change. She finally started feeling better the middle of last week, gratefully, because we had a trip to Yellowstone planned with Becky & Brad! It was such a blast! And Nick had never been there, so that was exciting! Can you believe that? I sure can't. Crazy. To live less than 2 hours from something so amazing and never go!? We camped and spent two nights and saw a lot of the cool sites. Nathan and Alisa came up on Saturday and it was fun to have them there. We saw "Old Faithful" of course, and several other geysers, waterfalls, and hot pots. We also saw Yellowstone Lake, which was still quite frozen and "The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone". So amazing. It was probably my favorite part. I thought it was better than the Grand Canyon. Not as deep, but the sides were straight down and beautiful. Wow. Okay this is getting really long. But we had tons of fun! Thanks for coming with us Harrison's! You guys are great. Now we're looking for where to go on our next camping adventure. Any ideas?
Here's Nathan & Alisa with Lucy while we were waiting for Old Faithful to spout. Thanks for being such great entertainers for the girls all the time!

Lucy roasting some marshmallows at the campfire!

Becky & I

Lucy & Nick at Tower Falls

That there is a black bear.

Lucy loved camping and was so sad to leave!


7 comments:

Brian Bailey said...

Looks like a lot of fun I love those pictures of Lucy by the fire and smiling. Don't worry about me I just going to school everyday. I wish I could be camping in Yellowstone. Next time you should go to southern Utah about the 15th of June.

Bob and Marie said...

You have such an adorable family...and I can just tell what an awesome mom you are. We actually came up to see you guys at the horse pull on Sat..I looked for you all at your trailer, but couldn't ever find you. We watched the pulls, though. We were all cheering for you. The kids kept yelling for "Grandpa Barney's horses" I wish we could have caught up with you. I'm glad you told me about it. I know I say this every single year, but I would love to come up to the Idaho Fair. I'll have to watch for the dates. Hope Lucy is feeling better!

Giles Fam said...

It was SO FUN to see you guys the other weekend. I'm glad you invited us along. We had a great time--and glad to hear you guys guys had fun at Yellowstone. That place is awesome!!

crystal carlson said...

I'm sorry Lucy was so sick--NOTHING is worse than having sick kids! I'm glad you guys had a fun trip though! I loved all of your pictures! Tell Nick & the rest of the Barney's hi for us!

Melanie said...

Hey Kim. What a fun camping trip. I love Yellowstone, haven't been for a long time though. You really should let me know next time you are in Utah. I would LOVE to see you and it's true, the girls would have fun together. Let's do it!

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Kim! Throw up, what a present. I am so sorry to hear she was throwing up. I hope they are doing well now. I am sorry I was such a slacker, I hope you will accept my birthday wishes a little late :).

The Schauerhamers said...

that is so crazy that Nick has never been to Yellowstone. I'm glad you had the chance to go and adding Becky and Brad made it a party I"m sure! I wish I could have met up with you guys too but we had Andrew's sister's wedding up in Rexburg so we were busy doing that and hanging out with my family too for Memorial Day. Poor Lucy! Leah has that little white shirt too. Wal Mart all the way!:) Your girls are so cute and i just adore your wonderful little family! HOpe to see you more often when we are in good ol' ideeho!